Galapagos Sweatshirt Blue/white
52% Regenerated Pre-Consumer Cotton
Regenerated cotton yarn is derived from cotton waste from the cutting room, which is normally destined for landfill. A dedicated and highly trained team collect and sort the offcuts (or ‘clips’) by colour, ready to start the journey to become Galapagos sweatshirts. Once the colour has been sorted, the clips are shredded down, mixed with polyester, and then spun into yarn, ready to be knitted and woven.
The benefits of using this technology are:
- This is completely dry process – the colour sorting means there is no need for further dying reducing further chemical and water waste entering the environment.
- Reduces the amount of waste going to landfill
- Avoids the CO2 emissions associated with growing and processing new cotton.
- Reduces the amount of land needed to grow the cotton
In comparison to Virgin Cotton, Regenerated Cotton saves*:
- 8 litres of water
- 25kg chemicals
- 25Kw/h of energy
- 2 Litres of waste water in the growing process
- 05m2 of cotton growing land.
*per 1 tonne